This blog was originally dedicated to update my friends and family on the details of my recovery from a traumatic spinal cord injury (SCI). I later began writing myself and now use this blog to document my journey through life with a spinal cord injury.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Rehab: Weeks 3-6... Oops

It has been a while since I have posted anything about rehab, and I have felt the need to catch up! A lot has happened since my last rehab post, and I am happy to say that I have made a good amount of progress in both occupational therapy and physical therapy. 

With occupational therapy I have been on several outings into the community and have even gone grocery shopping (The only real problem being that I couldn't see the screen to pay with a card). This week we planned a meal that I would prepare, so the small video clip that I posted is of me making some breakfast food with occupational therapy. I hope none of us will ever take our egg-cracking skills for granted again. It was tough!

I have also learned to get dressed in my chair, put on my shoes and socks, and get completely ready for the day. I am grateful to be this independent as I begin to prepare to go home.

In physical therapy I have been working on transfers, car transfers, wheelies in my chair (very important), and pop-ups from a lying position to a sitting up position. The short clip I attached is of the day I finally did it. I have to admit that I am very proud to have gained this technique, not only because it is useful, but because it was a big challenge for me. Because I have no core strength, this took more technique then other skills, and this was particularly difficult for me to get. I'm pretty sure it was the Batman abs that made it happen.

Therapy in general is going very well, and I feel very blessed at the progress I have been able to make. I feel especially blessed with the therapists that I have, both OT and PT. Not seeing them and working with them every day will be a sad thing for me. They may not know it, but they have been angels to me, and if they do know it, I am sure they do not know to what extent. They have taken me in my most vulnerable, helpless stage of life, and taught me again how to find liberty and life where it is available. I will always be indebted to them for what they've done for me.

(Forgive the crude links)

Occupational therapy


Physical therapy


1 comment:

  1. It's been to long :( I want an update :( This may be a selfish request, but it's because I love you :)

    ReplyDelete