This blog was originally dedicated to update my friends and family on the details of my recovery from a traumatic spinal cord injury (SCI). I later began writing myself and now use this blog to document my journey through life with a spinal cord injury.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Carson's Road Home... Has only just begun.

This is it… This is what I've been working towards. I've gone through two spinal surgeries, a week in the ICU, and two months of intense rehab to get to this point. The time to go home has come.

"You must be so excited… I bet you can't wait to get out of here", is the response that I usually get when I inform someone of my discharge date. I mean, anyone would assume that I would want to get out of here as fast as possible, right? Well, to be honest, I'm not so sure about how I feel about the "home" Carson's road has been leading to.

One of the hardest weeks I have had in the hospital was last week (hence the lack of blog posts). It was because for the first time, going home was not just an idea, but a reality. My stay at the hospital has provided a suspended reality for me, a state of limbo if you will. While I've been at the hospital, I've had to focus only on tasks, and tasks alone. There is no worry as to my future, or how I will live the rest of my life in general. I wake up, do bowel care, eat breakfast (sometimes), go to therapy, eat lunch, go to more therapy, eat dinner, and go to sleep (with a catheterization between each of those).

Going home means facing reality. If you would've asked me how I really felt about going home last week, I would've told you that it was one of the scariest things I have ever faced. It is safe to say that I have faced some difficult things in my life, but I don't know if there has been anything that has so tried my ability to solve a problem. For the first time I am unsure of my ability to make my way through something emotionally and psychologically. This has truly pushed me to my limits in every regard.

In a way, going home means returning to the environment where I lived as an active, able person. Going home means living in the shadows of my past life, being constantly aware of the difference between what I used to be, and what I am now. There is a relentless comparison, a never ending reminder of things as they were. Going from 6'5" to 4 foot something creates a bit of a contrast of experience along with a million other things. Every paralyzed, shortened breath I take seems to whisper mockingly, "you're not like you used to be". Rehab has been difficult, and I've worked myself hard. I've been in a lot of pain, cried bitter tears, and felt incredible frustration… but I believe that Carson's real road, or his true journey, is really just beginning.

Kind and compassionate people have told me that life can be just as fulfilling in a wheelchair, and that I shouldn't expect for things to be worse, but just different. There are aspects of this idea that I definitely agree with and appreciate, but there are also aspects of my loss that I cannot deny. Living with full mobility is like living in the brightness of the sun. It's warm for the most part and one's surroundings are easily observed and appreciated. You often need nothing but your eyes to see for miles on to the horizon. One hardly needs to think about watching his or her step, or worry about getting too cold. The simple but beautiful details of life almost go unnoticed since they are so readily available.

Living as a quadriplegic or paraplegic (or with any significant loss of mobility) is like living with the light of the moon. While life is still accessible or within reach, it is deceivingly difficult. It's hard to fully enjoy the beauty of your surroundings if you are living in the dark. You are limited simply by your ability to see. Adaptive equipment is nearly always necessary to make what is possible in the sunlight, possible in the light of the moon. Flashlights, lanterns, candles, lightbulbs, etc. are necessary parts of life, required simply for survival. Because of the darkness, every task is significantly harder to achieve, and takes much longer to finish. It's true though, life is so possible in the moonlight. We all know that after a time, our eyes can adjust to the darkness. A full life can be lived without the full brightness of a sun... but would anyone dare deny the monumental difference between the sun and the moon? And after having lived a full life in the sun, the darkness of the night is dreadfully deep... And appears very unappealing.

Going home forces me to except that the sun has gone out, and that the moon hovers depressingly in its place. I don't think I'll ever get over my love for the sun... But I also understand now, that I need to reconcile myself to the light of the moon since it's the only lights available. Here I am again, facing yet another challenge, another hurdle… it seems as though life almost says (again), "I dare you to try…" I cringe every time I realize I have to take the dare, but when will life learn that after a good cry, I'll stand up and take it face on? I hate it, but in a way, enjoy proving that I won't be beat. In doing so, I recognize that my strength is not only my own, but is coupled with that of the Savior's, and all the dares he faced. If he can do it, I can do it, because i've made him my ally, and my guide through life. The night will take some getting used to, and I don't expect the transition to be easy... There'll be days where I can hardly face getting back in my wheelchair. There will be days where the humiliation of having a family member help with personal hygiene will be too much… But little by little, I'll see through the darkness. Little by little, I'll find the beauties that can only dwell in the dark places. And one day... one day, I'll strap on a pair of nightvision goggles, and fly full-speed to the moon.

16 comments:

  1. The was beautiful, Carson. As hard as it will be, you are going home with a gift that not many people get in this life...a sure knowledge of how much and by how many people you are loved. That will uplift and sustain you through the hard times ahead as they come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, as a poet and writer, I thought about your wonderful comparison of going from the light of the sun to the light of the moon. And as I considered it, I thought to myself that the moon holds its own luminescent beauty. If you have ever been outside at night when there is a full moon, it's not as brilliantly illuminating as the sun is-but you can still see everything really well. In a sort of analogy, I think God gave you a lesser light that still illuminates your path sufficiently to see through the darkness. I am reminded of these words from a hymn: "Brightly beams our Father's mercy, From his lighthouse evermore, But to us he gives the keeping
    Of the lights along the shore. Let the lower lights be burning; Send a gleam across the wave. Some poor fainting, struggling seaman,You may rescue, you may save." You have been given the "keeping" of a lower light along the shores of life, one which I believe will shine brightly like our Heavenly Father's mercy, to bring souls unto Christ. No matter what happens, I know that you will find peace, comfort, joy, optimism, gratitude, and more in every single day, because of that mercy and grace from our Savior, Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carson you are and amazing man. Though I may not know what you are dealing with personally every time I read what you post there is always a positive thought and as long as the positive thoughts still are there you will always have the light of Christ. On days when the light seems dim remember that he is always with you and let that give you strength to help the light become brighter. I think to myself how would I handle this or on the other side how would I help one of my children with such a great challenge and I read your post and know that having Christ in my life is the best way to handle all that comes our way. Keep up the great work and know that many are loving you and supporting you in your path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I don't know you I am praying for you and following you through my daughter Jackie Malan on facebook. You definately are an amazing writer and young man. Your comparision with before and after is very beautiful. I have a brother going through the same thing right now. This helps me understand more of what this has been like for him. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though I don't know you I am praying for you and following you through my daughter Jackie Malan on facebook. You definately are an amazing writer and young man. Your comparision with before and after is very beautiful. I have a brother going through the same thing right now. This helps me understand more of what this has been like for him. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are ready and waiting for you. The whole neighborhood is ready to welcome you with open arms. We are here to be there for you, just as you have always been there for us. I have many warm and wonderful memories of your generosity and love of your fellowman. I have been a grateful recipient of those gifts. Those important gifts are still there in full force. We think we are helping you. Well, it goes both ways. As we serve, we are really the ones being served. I hope you know what I mean. Can't wait to see you. If you would like us to talk to you about our mission and show you Nigeria through our eyes, call us! We would love to share the experience with you. Love you Carson!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carson, dear....the light of the Son will give you all the light you need as you begin this next part of your journey. I love you and have every confidence that, with the Savior at your side, you will be triumphant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carson, you're a wonderful writer. Thank you for sharing that gift--as well as so many others like your strength and faith--with the world. You're making it a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carson, You amaze me!! You and your Dad have such a gift of expressing feelings through words and analogies and paint a true picture of what is coursing through your minds & hearts! Your brutal honesty is humbling to me. Could I be so optimistic in similar circumstances! You lift me up! Love, Steve & Pam Thacker

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Carson,

    My name is Brittany Fisher. I became aware of your situation through a friend whose friend is friend's with you. If that even makes sense. Anyway, I was in a accident in march 2012 and became a 21 year old parapalegic. The words you've written about coming home is exactly how I felt. In the hospital you're surrounded by others in similar situations. But when you go back home, to you old life you realize how different it all is, and reality really sinks in. But I wanted to just comment and leave you my email if you want to contact me or need other references. I'm sure you've got lots but I hope you continue to hold onto your faith and know that there will be dark and difficult days ahead but there will also be moments of joy and gratitude.

    Feel free to email me at bafisher27@gmail.com
    Brittany Fisher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carson, You have everything it takes to face this battel. It is good that you can be so articulate in your writing, facing your emotions makes them more managasable. You have faith, determination, posative attitude and trust in the savior. I somehow think of Elizabeth Smart as I talk to you. She had these same qualities AND both of you have the prayers of the people of Utah. I feel certain that that is why she survived and is able to cope, and I feel certain that that is one thing that will propel you forward. You know not what the Lord will do for you and how he will use you in this life.. Prepare to be amased!
    May God Bless you always especially when you need it the most, in you'r darkest hour, When you feel alone and afraid.
    Marguerite

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carson, I read Guidepost Magazine. It is full of posative uplifting short true life stories. It is also on the internet I beleive you can find it at Guidepost.org. I send my prayers.
    Marguerite

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw your story on KSL. This blog post was beautiful and inspiring. I wish you the best on your road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I look forward to reading and hearing about what you'll do by the light of the moon. You'll rule the night just as you conquered the day. My families thoughts and prayers are with you. You can do this and you will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Martha and I have been praying for you - knowing that you were going home and how nervous you were about it. She felt much the same way when she came home last year and knows how difficult it is.
    We put your name on the Temple prayer roll when we went last week and know that our Savior is by your side as you work through this leg of the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carson your post was so poignant and "illuminating". Pun intended. Thank you for sharing what reality is for you now. I would not be able to paint so vivid of a picture. You truly have a gift. You'll conquer this challenge too. Is it hard? No doubt. Can you see yourself working through it with Christ at the helm? Then, you'll be fine. You'll be more than fine. You'll be an even better man than you are now. No doubt. We love you and pray for your continued strength, stamina, and support. Much love from Virginia.

    ReplyDelete